Thursday, June 26, 2008

She's a Brick... House


I did a brick session with the tri club tonight. Lesley Paterson of Braveheart Fitness Coaching led the workout, and it was awesome. We did a ten minute warm-up run (well, jog, if we're being honest here), followed by a five minute warm-up on the bike (we were all on stationary trainers).

For those new to triathlon: a "brick" is when you do two of the triathlon events back-to-back. The most important one is the transition from the bike to the run leg of the race, because your legs are PISSED when you get off of that bike and try to make them run.

So, we're all warmed up and ready to go. Lesley announced that we were doing four blocks. Each block would consist of five-one minute intervals and then a quarter mile run. It doesn't sound very challenging, does it? Ya, well it is. haha Ok, so we were instructed to start the first interval in a hard gear, pedaling at about 80 RPM. After each minute, you shift into an easier gear, and pedal faster. By the end of the five minutes, my quads were ready for a break, but they didn't get one, because it was time for the run.

Because Lesley is a wonderful human being, she set me off running about twenty seconds before everyone else, so I wouldn't be running alone the whole time. It was nice, I finished with the group, instead of feeling like I was working out alone.

Then back on the bike! Lather, rinse, repeat three more times, then we cooled down for a few minutes, and that was it! I don't feel that I am going out on a limb when I say that I think I may be a little sore tomorrow. What a great workout.

The workout took place at Tecolote Shores along Mission Bay, right next to a big playground. Several toddlers stopped to watch us pedal away, it made me smile and think of my boys. There was some sort of boot camp fitness type deal going on a couple hundred yards away from where our bikes were set up. It was all women, and they were doing up-and-backs on the grass. There was a woman in the group whom I immediately identified as "one of me." She was walking and behind the rest of the group. I high-fived her and said "good job" as I went by her. I hope she keeps it up.

I am so going to bed right now.




No comments: